Friday, August 5, 2011

The Agony while Preparing Final Exam Questions

The regulations of the university state: at the end of each semester, teachers have to prepare a final exam of two parts. The first part consists of three essay questions where students have to choose two out of them. The second part consists of a case study with two mandatory questions.

The agony begins while I am searching for a case study. Now confused is the least thing I can say about how I would be feeling. How can all these characteristics be found in one case study!?
1- The case has to be short, so that students don’t lose interest.
2- The case has to be solved within an hour and a half (read and solved).
3- The case has to have a very, very, very, very basic English language for all students to understand it and avoid questions like: Ms. what does “poverty” mean???
4- The case has to have enough arguments to guide the answers of the students.
5- The case has to be related to the chapters that are going to be included in the final exam.
6- The case has to tackle a topic that is not gender sensitive to avoid comments by male students such as:“Ms. why did you choose a case study on Revlon; this is a topic that only girls know about”. I could not believe it, guys are knowledgeable about cosmetics when it comes to their girlfriends no?
7- The case has to be of a topic that all students are familiar with. Which is completely impossible since students don’t have time to read, again as per their words.
8- The case has to be chosen from a reputable or academic source. Which contradicts the second point where the English level has to be very, very, very, very basic.
9- The answers of the questions should be available in the slides presented in class. I mean come on! Seriously?
10- The answers of the questions should not be too long, students will simply answer half of the questions. And they have the nerve to tell me: “Ms. why did we get a lower grade than expected?!” When I reply, because your answers were incomplete. The reply would be : “True Ms. the answers were too long and we were in a hurry (running for a meeting, seeing a girlfriend/boyfriend, got hungry, it’s summer time, it’s raining, we live far away from the uni, etc…), besides why did you ask such questions?”
Well my dear students, as you can see, preparing a final exam takes an extremely long time, and is very annoying, exhausting, agonizing, simply it is not fun because the requirements are not easy to match.
I just felt like sharing my thoughts with you, since this time, and for the first time, I ran out of ideas, and I had to post on twitter than I am looking for a case study!
Hope after reading this, you will walk the extra mile and work a bit harder to get good grades and show me that you had time to study.
Wishing you all good luck!
Love you all

11 comments:

  1. "I can no other answer make, but, thanks, and thanks."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miss we really appreciate what u r doing .....
    thnx for everything u did for us ...
    u r the best

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Mountaha you can always say what you have in mind, I would love your opinion about this!

    @Bach you are the most welcome, it's with pleasure that I do this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 10- The answers of the questions should not be too long, students will simply answer half of the questions. And they have the nerve to tell me: “Ms. why did we get a lower grade than expected?!” When I reply, because your answers were incomplete. The reply would be : “True Ms. the answers were too long and we were in a hurry (running for a meeting, seeing a girlfriend/boyfriend, got hungry, it’s summer time, it’s raining, we live far away from the uni, etc…), besides why did you ask such questions?”
    THE BEST PART EVEEEEEEEEEEERRRR !!!!!!! HEHEHEHE That's Very Truee!!

    1) Ya3tikeh L 3afyeh Miss
    2) 2ad Ma Enteh U Love Us , Be Sure That We Love u Much More And We Are So Proud To Have A MISS , SIS , Friend Like U In Our Life ..
    3) W Aham Shi , KEL LI BIGHARO MENNIK , KNow VERY WELL Eno U R THE BESTTTTTTTTTTTT!!!

    GOD BLESS U

    ReplyDelete
  5. hehehe I Loved it, none of us expect that all tutors work so hard to put our final exam :) so thank you for informing us and "ya3tikoun alfein 3afye " :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. really THNX w ya3tiki l 3efi u work hard at least for us
    w Alla ykhalilna yeki (even if we will graduate) coz ur ana amaziiing person
    what we can do to help is to study and to assure that we loooove u
    by the way I like Ur comments since they are true u made me laugh
    finally this is so interesting Its very very very nice mwah Gdluk in everythn u do

    ReplyDelete
  7. ok ok MISS
    i'll study well!!
    im crying now
    do something :P
    (PS, great idea ;) )

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Claudia haha I thought you would like it!!! :p many thanks for your words it is an honor :) (k)

    @ Maya glad you enjoyed it, many thanks my dear :) allah y3afikeh

    @Lidian thanks ya helweh I am sure you will study hard and I am sure the results will turn out amazing, after all my students are the BEST!!!

    @Mario I will send you a towel to dry your tears next time I see (that is if it will ever happen you busy man :p) thanks allah y3afik

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh! This is such a big complicated dilemma where hundreds of negative factors are down, fighting, in the battlefield.
    A good portion of the problem goes to students' attitudes and actually there exist countless factors including students' psychological state, personal problems, personal responsibilities, carelessness, etc. The teacher has to absorb all this and live the experience of chaos in mind and heart at the real time of exams preparation. She/he has to add a ring beside a ring which isn't truly there in the chain!
    So, relax; it isn't your problem. Let your power be always in your serenity, patience, psychological healthiness, persistence, confidence, and keep in mind that "the Journey is the reward".
    Love & Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Mountaha I really appreciate your words and the comfort they bring, but sadly, I am anxious, it is a big responsibility as you know, but I am sure in God's will everything will turn fine
    Thanks a lot my dear
    God bless you, luv

    ReplyDelete